Your roof is one of the most vital aspects of your home’s exterior that not only protects your home and its inhabitants from external elements but also enhances the building’s curb appeal.
Now that your roof suffers from regular wear and tear, it’s crucial to periodically repair or restore it to keep it in good condition for a long time.
Are you considering tiled roof restoration but are unsure about the costs involved? Don’t worry! You are at the right place! In this ultimate guide, you can explore the costs involved in restoring a roof in Australia.
Table of ContentsToggle
What is Roof Restoration?
Over time, your roof will age and suffer from minor to severe wear and tear. Roof restoration is the roofing project undertaken to extend your roof’s life.
It is a cost-effective alternative to roof replacement, which involves removing the existing roof and replacing it with a new one.
Roofs in poor condition have damaged tiles, and leaks lead to harmful mould growth and cause multiple issues for you or your family.
So, if your roof looks a little worse for wear and requires more than a few minor repairs, it’s worth considering restoring your roof.
Roof restoration done by a professional roofing specialist Melbourne involves roof inspection, cleaning, removing and replacing damaged tiles, re-bedding ridge caps, and applying protective coatings.
How Much Does it Cost to Restore a Roof?
The cost of any roof restoration project depends on multiple factors. However, most roofing companies typically charge for roof restoration by square metre.
You can expect a rough estimate of the following costs:
- Roof cleaning can cost around $250 to $500, depending on the roof’s condition.
- The costs to repair any particular spot can vary between $200 and $500, depending on the severity of the issue and the damaged roof area.
- If you have a tiled roof, whether terracotta or concrete tiles, the tile roof repairs can cost around $55 to $65 per square metre.
- A complete roof restoration for an average-sized home can cost approximately $2,500.
- A large-sized tiled roof restoration can cost between $4,500 and $11,000.
Whenever you ask a reputable company for roof restoration quotes, you should:
- Outline in detail what you need roofers to do to restore your roof.
- Tell the roofers about the approximate size of your roof.
- Describe the pitch height of your roof.
- Tell the roofers whether you have a single-storey or two-storey roof.
- Confirm what roofing material is used for your existing roof.
What Factors Affect the Roof Restoration Cost?
Below listed are a few factors that can affect the roof restoration cost:
Roof size and complexity
The size and complexity of your roof is the most obvious factor influencing the roof restoration cost. A larger roof will require a more thorough inspection, cleaning, materials, and labour than small-sized roofs, resulting in higher costs.
In addition, factors like your roof’s shape, architectural design, and number of slops can increase the complexity of a roof restoration project, impacting the overall price.
The type of roofing material you choose to restore your existing roof can impact the roof restoration cost.
In Australia, you can find a wide variety of roofing materials, from terracotta tiles to concrete tiles, each with its advantages and prices.
The material you choose can depend on multiple factors, including aesthetics, budget, and durability.
The extent of restoration
While a minor tiled roof restoration project usually involves cleaning and repainting the roof, detailed restoration projects might involve severe repairs or replacements.
For example, your restoration project might require roof valleys replacement and in older homes, sagged roof trusses might need to be replaced.
The more detailed your roof restoration project will be, the more cost you will have to pay.
Pitch and accessibility of your roof
If you have a steeper, higher, and more complex roof, it will be harder for roofers to work on, and, thus, it will generally cost more to restore.
Moreover, if your roof is over a certain height, you might have to install guard rails for more safety, which will add to the roof restoration cost.
Labour costs for your roof restoration project can vary depending on the roofing contractor you choose to work with. It’s worth working with skilled and experienced roofers as they can deliver quality workmanship.
While you might think labour costs for such roofers are high, investing in skilled labour will ensure a well-restored and long-lasting roof.
When restoring your roof, you might require additional services like roof ventilation, gutter installation, or roof insulation.
Asking your roofing contractor for these additional services can increase your overall roof restoration cost but is crucial for the functionality and longevity of your restored roof.
Understanding the above-discussed factors will give you a better idea about the potential costs you might incur to restore your roof. However, remember that the prices for restoring a roof can vary depending on the area you live in in Australia.
What Steps Are Involved in Restoring a Tiled Roof?
Regardless of whether you have a terracotta or concrete tiles roof, the roof restoration process typically involves the following steps:
- Thorough inspection
- High-pressure cleaning with specialised equipment
- Repairing or replacing cracked, loose, broken, or damaged tiles
- Re-aligning loose roof tiles
- Repointing and re-bedding ridge tiles
- Repairing or replacing damaged or worn flashings, clips, and valleys
- Installing new valleys using valley seals
- Re-bedding ridges and installing new capping
- Removing mould, dirt, and algae build-up over roof tiles
- Replacing worn or damaged glazing
- Addressing roof leaks
- Applying an anti-fungicide and sealant to protect roof tiles from harsh external elements
To sum up it all
Your roof protects your home from climatic conditions, which can be pretty harsh in Australia. Although it’s essential to maintain your roof to enhance its longevity, you can’t replace your damaged roof time and again as it’s an expensive affair.
Roof restoration is a cost-effective option to repair your damaged roof and keep it well-functioning for long. Knowing the different factors affecting roof restoration cost will help you get accurate cost estimates from different roofing companies and choose the roofing specialist Melbourne, charging competitive prices.